Sunday, February 08, 2009
Week Two: Day Seven
Brunch -
Eggs Carbonara
Gonzo Grapefruit
I made the Eggs Carbonara with the Oscar Mayer Bacon. It was basically scrambled eggs. Don't expect too much from this one. The Gonzo Grapefruit (both recipes from an old Bob Blumer show) was fantastic. A cocktailk in a grapefruit half.
Dinner -
Tacos
I made a simple recipe for the taco filling, which G seemed to like a lot. I placed 1.5 lbs of ground beef in a medium saucepan, with 2 Tbs. Chili Seasoning, 1 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 3/4 tsp. cumin, 1 Tbs. paprika, and 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes. I covered the meat with water, broke the meat up and brought it to a boil, then brought it to a simmer for 75 mins (stirring and continuing to break the meat up). Add water, as necessary.
Strain the meat through a sieve for about 10 minutes, keeping the liquid, and cooling it in an ice bath. Skim off the hardened fat after 10 minutes, and place 0.5 cups of the liquid back in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, while dissolving 1 tsp. of corn starch in 0.5 cups of cold water, then add the water-corn starch mixture. Simmer for five minutes, then add the beef mixture. Bring together until heated.
Put some of the meat mixture onto a lightly heated tortilla with shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. Wrap and eat.
(Recipe inspired by Mex-Recipes)
I meant to serve this with the Goya Rice and Beans... I did not. I had 2 tacos, and G finished off the remaining six.
Eggs Carbonara
Gonzo Grapefruit
I made the Eggs Carbonara with the Oscar Mayer Bacon. It was basically scrambled eggs. Don't expect too much from this one. The Gonzo Grapefruit (both recipes from an old Bob Blumer show) was fantastic. A cocktailk in a grapefruit half.
Dinner -
Tacos
I made a simple recipe for the taco filling, which G seemed to like a lot. I placed 1.5 lbs of ground beef in a medium saucepan, with 2 Tbs. Chili Seasoning, 1 tsp. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 3/4 tsp. cumin, 1 Tbs. paprika, and 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes. I covered the meat with water, broke the meat up and brought it to a boil, then brought it to a simmer for 75 mins (stirring and continuing to break the meat up). Add water, as necessary.
Strain the meat through a sieve for about 10 minutes, keeping the liquid, and cooling it in an ice bath. Skim off the hardened fat after 10 minutes, and place 0.5 cups of the liquid back in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, while dissolving 1 tsp. of corn starch in 0.5 cups of cold water, then add the water-corn starch mixture. Simmer for five minutes, then add the beef mixture. Bring together until heated.
Put some of the meat mixture onto a lightly heated tortilla with shredded cheddar cheese, lettuce, sour cream and salsa. Wrap and eat.
(Recipe inspired by Mex-Recipes)
I meant to serve this with the Goya Rice and Beans... I did not. I had 2 tacos, and G finished off the remaining six.